Test 30. Past Perfect Simple or Continuous?
Test 30. Past Perfect Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct verb form.
1. I knew the facts of the case because I had (read/been reading) the report.
2. My eyes ached because I had (read/been reading) for three hours.
3. The children were dirty. They had (played/been playing) in the garden, and they were covered in mud.
4. I was very nervous at the beginning of the match. I had never (played/been playing) before.
5. Donald was very angry. He had (worked/been working) in the kitchen all morning, and no one had offered to help him.
6. The roads were wet because it had (rained/been raining) all night.
7. He was broke. He had (spent/been spending) all his money.
8. His hands were covered in oil because he had (tried/ been trying) to fix the car all morning. Unfortunately, he had not (managed/been managing) to make it start.
9. I got to the meeting very late and everyone was waiting for me to start; the chairman told me they had (waited/ been waiting) for a whole hour.
10. When I arrived at the party, Mary had already (left/ been leaving).
11. We were good friends. We had (known/been knowing) each other for a long time.
12. They had (climbed/been climbing) for five hours before they reached the top of the mountain.
13. I had (felt/been feeling) sleepy all day so I went to bed early.
14. Ken gave up smoking two years ago. He had (smoked/ been smoking) for 30 years.
15. Ann had just (got/been getting) home when I phoned.
16. We were extremely tired at the end of the journey. We had (travelled/been travelling) for more than 24 hours.
17. I was sad when I sold my car. I had (had/been having) it for a very long time.
18. Mary was sitting on the ground. She was out of breath. She had (run/been running).
19. In the evening I was very tired because I had (cleaned/ been cleaning) my house since morning.
20. The house was dirty. They had not (cleaned/been cleaning) it for weeks.