I had a cup of tea for breakfast because I . of coffee. had run outran outwas running outhad been running out Sam says he didn’t enjoy the pr
1. I had a cup of tea for breakfast because I ….. of coffee.
had run out
was running out
had been running out
2. Sam says he didn’t enjoy the program because the TV set ….. properly.
hadn’t been working
3. A man once built a house and ….. his friends to visit him.
had been inviting
4. The Browns ….. in a large house when their children were at home, but they moved to a small three-room apartment after the children grew up and left home.
used to live
5. While the kids ….. in the garden, their mother was hurriedly cooking dinner.
had been playing
6. I saw Paul at the airport. He ….. for his brother’s plane to arrive from Canada.
had been waiting
7. Yesterday I came up to a stranger who looked like Jane Faster and started talking to her. But she wasn’t Jane. It was clear I ….. a mistake.
had been making
8. Suddenly they heard a strange noise and ….. at each other in horror.
had been looking
9. Margaret didn’t wear her shoes; she was barefoot. She ….. on a piece of broken glass and cut her foot.
had been stepping
10. He ….. ill for three days, so his mother wanted to bring him to a doctor, but he didn’t want to go.
had been feeling
11. Mrs. Robson died in her sleep. Her doctor told me she ….. from a weak heart for some time.
had been suffering
12. Alan ….. out almost every day last year, but now he can’t afford it.
used to eat
13. A strong wind ….. and I decided to put on a warm coat.
had been blowing
14. The two boys came into the house. One had a black eye and the other a cut lip. They ….. .
had been fighting
15. While I ….. a burglar climbed into the room through the window.
had been sleeping
- 1. had run out
2. didn’t work
4. used to live
5. were playing
6. was waiting
7. had made
11. had been suffering
12. used to eat
13. was blowing
14. had been fighting
15. was sleeping